MS in Bioinformatics
Required Semester Hours: 36
The thesis track is designed for MS in Bioinformatics students who are interested in conducting research. This track is strongly advised if you may be interested in pursuing a PhD in the future.
Researching and writing a master’s thesis is an academically intensive process that takes the place of 8 credits of traditional coursework. Students work with a faculty advisor to choose a topic of interest, engage in high-level study of that topic, and develop a paper that is suitable for presentation at a conference or submission to a journal.
The thesis experience provides definition to your master’s degree experience and can bolster your application for jobs or doctoral-level study by demonstrating your capabilities.
In the thesis option, you will earn 8 credits in BIOE 598 Master’s Thesis Research and at least 28 credit hours from coursework. At least 12 of your coursework credits must come from courses at the 500 level, excluding BIOE 595, BIOE 596, and BIOE 598. You may be allowed limited credit hours from BIOE 596 (Independent Study) with department approval. There is no comprehensive examination.
Master’s thesis students in bioinformatics have recently studied:
- Strategies for Identification of Small Molecule Inhibitors of Ad2 E3-19K/HLA-A2 Binding Interaction
- Deconstruction of Polymerase Chain Reaction to Reduce Bias Associated with Degenerate Primers
- Identifying Ligand Binding Sites of Proteins using Crystallographic Bfactors and Relative Pocket Sizes
- A Statistical Framework for GeneSet Enrichement Analysis based on DNA Methylation and Gene Expression
In the non-thesis track, you earn all of your required 36 credit hours from coursework. Of these, 16 must be from courses at the 500 level. There is no comprehensive examination.
- 1 hour of BIOE 595
- Present at least one seminar (BIOE 595) before graduation
- Students entering the program without an undergraduate degree in bioengineering or biomechanical engineering must also take BIOE 480, BIOE 481, and BIOE 530